Help Centre

<  Frequently asked questions home


Do I have to return my expired passport?


You do not need to return your passport once it has expired.

But, if it has recently expired, you may be eligible to apply for a new passport through our simplified renewal process.

The expired passport can also be used as supporting identification for a new application as long as:

  • the passport expired within the past year,
  • the original passport is submitted (photocopies will not be accepted), and
  • the name in the passport is the same as the name on the new application.